Saturday, July 28, 2007

What an interesting week. Attending the TransVision 07 conference was certainly a fantastic experience. There is a lot to say about it, but for the moment I'd like to comment on the state of Artificial Intelligence, and the fact that I disagree with many experts in the field.

Marvin Minsky, who, incidentally, is one of the most hilarious wise-asses I've ever met, said I have "physics envy", because I think that the key to AI is a simple but powerful theoretical basis to consciousness. Sort of a variant on Newton's Laws of Mechanics, or Maxwell's Laws of Electromagnetism. The "Laws of the Mind", so to speak. Minsky feels that there are a lot of complex mechanisms at work, and that we just need to get building them. This may be true, but I can't help but feel that the theoretical basis for true strong AI is lacking, and that the focus must change before we can truly succeed.

I would also like to comment that I think it is most likely that a woman will be the one to create true strong AI. We are, after all, the Mothers of our race. The first AI will be a virgin birth, and will change mankind forever, for better or for worse. An artificial Anti-Christ... How's that to piss off our religious brethren? ;-)

Cheers!

3 Comments:

At 1:40:00 PM , Blogger chartom_shel_tehom said...

I still can't get over the fact that Minsky used the term "physics envy." It's quite true, yet at the same time, quite...

I think it's really interesting to see that there was a clash of two parties. It was a rather subtle clash, but a clash nonetheless. On one camp, you have your theorists with their models, calculations, and general optimism. On the other hand (me included), you have the experimentalists who are skeptical, practical, and generally pissed off. I think Minsky's in the latter camp. Where do you belong? ;-)

 
At 2:41:00 PM , Blogger Parijata Mackey said...

Haha, I think I am an outcast in both camps. I tend most strongly towards the theoretical, with models, calculation, and strong desire for a mathematical/philosophical framework and intellectual absolutist method of thinking; however I am also rather unpleasantly skeptical, practical, and generally pissed off with the state of AI today. I think that hardware today is insufficient. I think not enough attention is paid to philosophy, neuropsychology, and physiology. I think neuroscience and the science of mind are ridiculously stuck in their respective infancies. I basically think that everybody is either wrong, or not certain enough that they are right.

Wow, I really shouldn't be in this field, should I? :-P

 
At 7:38:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think this is one of the most important
information for me. And i'm glad reading your article. But wanna remark on some general things, The web site style is perfect, the articles is really great : D. Good job, cheers

my web-site; weight loss programs

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home