Thursday, July 24, 2008

I'd like to begin the day by asking the reader to take a moment and imagine all the potential abuses of this technology: slydial.com. "I don't understand, I called you in advance to tell you I was sick..." Will we ever trust voicemail again? This is akin to a real version of Google's Custom Time prank, sans the self-restraint even Google's prank squad displayed ("Our researchers have concluded that allowing each person more than ten pre-dated emails per year would cause people to lose faith in the accuracy of time, thus rendering the feature useless"). How long will it be before the upper echelons of the corporate hierarchy get wise to this scheme, this latest friend of the Internet-surfing slacker? How long will it be before we ourselves begin hating it? I'm glad I ignore all my voicemails anyway; now I can ignore them for a reason.

Before I hightail it over to the lab, I'd like to share something I'd buy if I had $25 that I needed to get rid of. They are tablet-versions of the Miracle Fruit (Synsepalum dulcificum) -- flavor-tripping berries. These berries, from West Africa, are supposed to make sour foods sweet, distorting your tongue's sour receptors for 20-30 minutes. Evidently, this results in a bunch of sophisticated people chugging hot sauce, remarking on its saccharine qualities. These tablets, however, are supposed to last up to six hours. Sadly, I have not yet tried these berries, but I just might have to throw an unusual (flavor-tripping) birthday party this year...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home