Thursday, April 26, 2007

This paper scares the *hell* out of me...

I will, however, use it to my advantage by furthering the notion that reality doesn't actually exist, and therefore doesn't matter. Yes, the lovely conclusions drawn by sleep-deprived college students who have 14 pages to write by morning as well as a chem lab report due, only after reading 200 pages on the importance of rhetoric in the French Revolution, and ignoring the painful emptiness of ending an 8-month relationship.

A lapse in postive and interesting scientific information, perhaps, but I will proceed as if all is well. At least I'll ace chemistry. And the French Revolution? Piece of cake. I'll eat it, too...

3 Comments:

At 2:07:00 AM , Blogger chartom_shel_tehom said...

yes... such craziness we scientists are reduced to. check out my new post; it's disturbing, and it references your reference!

 
At 5:29:00 AM , Blogger Nicholas LeCompte said...

"And the French Revolution? Piece of cake."

That's what Marie Antoinette said, and now look where she is.

(Yes, I know she didn't actually say "let them eat cake.")

Anyway, I'm sorry that I haven't updated my blog with any form of regularity. I was working on a post last night, but kept getting distracted with the magic of the Internet.

 
At 1:32:00 AM , Blogger Mitchell said...

(Eight months too late...)

Never never never believe a physicist who tells you to abandon "realism" because quantum mechanics says you must. (You should be equally beware of those who say that Bohr - or Everett - explained it all.) Despite the categorical nature of the title, this is actually just a test of a limited class of nonlocal theories, and not a well-known class at that. Bohm's theory remains completely consistent with experiment, because it gives exactly the same predictions as quantum mechanics. It is achieved at the price of relativity, conceptually at least - in Bohmian field theory you would still have all those relativistic phenomena like time dilation and length contraction, but the underlying dynamics requires absolute time - but one might consider this a smaller loss than mind-independent reality.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home